Located on a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, thousands of miles from the mainland, the Big Island of Hawaii is a remarkably unique place. This uniqueness extends to our customs – we just do things a little differently here.
Slip into island life
Here are a few ways you can slip into island life during your time here:
- When you meet someone new, don’t be surprised if they greet you with a kiss on the cheek. That is often the equivalent of a handshake, especially in social settings.
- Drive with aloha. Life is more laid back here. Leave your stress on the airplane and just take it easy during your time on the island. One of our favorite bumper stickers is “Slow down … this ain’t the mainland!’
- Take your shoes off. When you visit someone’s home, you’ll often be greeted with dozens of “slippahs” (flip-flops) in all shapes and sizes by the front door. Slip yours off before you head inside.
- Don’t show up empty-handed. If you’re invited to a get-together, always bring something for the host or a dish to share.
- Learn the shaka. If someone flashes you a hand signal with their pinky and thumb sticking out, and the rest of their fingers folded over, don’t worry – it’s a friendly gesture. It’s often used instead of a wave, like when you are saying hi, goodbye or as a “thank you” from other drivers in traffic.
- Be sure to leave the sand and rocks where you find them. It’s considered very bad luck to take lava rocks off the island.
Looking for more ideas for your Hawaii vacation?
Be sure to check out the other articles our blog for more information and ideas on things to do and see on your Hawaii vacation.
Plan your perfect trip to paradise
If you’re ready to experience the island way for yourself, we invite you to start planning your trip by visiting our website. We can help you find the perfect vacation rental, whether you’re looking for a cozy studio for two or a luxurious villa for a large group.
Hawaii vacation rentals: Fairway Villas
Stay in our new two-bedroom, two-bath unit at the beautiful and conveniently located Fairway Villas at Waikoloa Beach Resort, within walking distance to shops, restaurants, entertainment, beach, golf courses, and petroglyph trails.
New with a view
Our island-style villa is fully equipped and ready to host you. The master bedroom has a king bed and en suite bathroom. The guest room has two twins that can be easily converted to a king, and a full bath right next door. Enjoy your meals on the beautiful lanai, with tropical golf course views.
Cool with a pool
Our villa has central air conditioning, a washer and dryer, beach gear, free wifi, and reserved parking. As a guest, you have access to the infinity pool overlooking the King’s Lake, a BBQ with a picnic area, and a fitness center.
Save on your Hawaii vacation rental
Don’t need as much space? You can rent this unit as a one-bed, one-bath for a reduced nightly rate – contact us for details! And remember, you can always save 10% on your vacation rental when you book direct with us and mention “Aloha escape” in your reservation.
We hope to see you soon – a hui hou!